Student Health Cover

Student Health Cover in Adelaide

Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for any medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia. It will also help pay for most prescription medicines and provide you with ambulance cover in emergencies. You must have OSHC for the duration of your student visa.


Who has to take out OSHC?

If you are an overseas student undertaking formal studies in Australia, you must take our OSHC for yourself and for any dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old). The OSHC must cover the full duration of the visa. You will need to purchase OSHC for yourself and any family member travelling with you, before you arrive in Australia.


Which countries are exempt?

Belgian, Norwegian and some Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements.


How do I purchase OSHC?

You can arrange to pay for your OSHC through the AIAT or you can purchase OSHC online by visiting the OSHC insurer websites. You retain the right to choose your own OSHC provider even when your educational institution makes a specific recommendation because they have negotiated a preferred provider arrangement with a particular insurer.

You can find out more about OSHC cover, including where to purchase OSHC, from Student Services or at PrivateHealth.gov.au.

If you purchase your own OSHC online, you will need to ensure that you are purchasing an Australian OSHC product, not travel or other medical insurance.


How much does OSHC cost?

The cost of OSHC varies depending on the type of cover required. The average cost of minimum cover is $685 for 12 months singles cover, $2354 for 12 months couples cover, and $3582 family cover (Australian dollars).

For more information regarding OSHC, please visit the Australian Government Department of Health website at: